In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “Roy G. Biv.”
It’s simple, Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet, the colors of the rainbow. Songs have been made to reflect these colors and help people to learn them. I have a question though. If Red, Yellow and Blue are primary colors and Orange, Green and Violet are secondary colors, how does Indigo fit in? Did we just need another vowel to make the words sound better? Wouldn’t there be colors in between Red and Orange, Orange and Yellow, Yellow and Green, Green and Blue (Teal isn’t included) or Violet and Red (burgundy, magenta, red-violet).
This question has always bothered me. What made Indigo so special that it got included but not of the other mixed colors were included (I love the turquoise, teal family). Who decided on what the colors of the rainbow represent?
I researched this and I found this excerpt on http://www.color-meanings.com/colors-of-the-rainbow-and-their-meanings/:
Significance of colors of the rainbow in modern philosophy
Today, a great deal of research has been done on colors. Colors play an important role in our lives. Different colors symbolize different personalities, and also affect our moods differently. The seven colors of rainbow are also linked to seven chakra colors, seven day of the week, the colors of the Auras and so on. People use crystals, gems and other items in seven colors of the rainbow for attaining spirituality, good health, and wisdom.
Let us revisit the seven colors of the rainbow and what each one represents:
- Red- This is the first color of the rainbow from top. Red signifies passion, vitality, enthusiasm and security. It is the light with the longest wavelength.
- Orange- This light or color is a combination of yellow and red. It is a dynamic color representing creativity, practicality, playfulness as well as equilibrium or control.
- Yellow- This is the color of the sunshine itself. It represents clarity of thought, wisdom, orderliness and energy.
- Green- This is the middle color of the rainbow and denotes fertility, growth, balance, health and wealth.
- Blue- This the fifth color of the rainbow which makes us think of the Unknown. The sky and the wide oceans are in this color and hence it has been associated with Spirituality and Divinity.
- Indigo- It is believed that where Blue is calming, Indigo is sedating. Indigo is mystical as it bridges the Gap between Finite and Infinite. Indigo colored gem stones are often used for spiritual attainment, psychic abilities, self awareness and enhancement of Intuition.
- Violet- The last color of the rainbow is a mix of red and blue. It is considered the highest element of spirituality. It can ignite one’s imagination and be an inspiration to artists. Dark tones of violet are associated with sorrow. Deeper shades of violet or purple denote high spiritual mastery.
Thus, the seven colors of the rainbow are not only a thing of great beauty but also have Biblical/philosophical significances, specific functions and purpose.
If anyone else was wondering about this, it seems that the internet has an answer. The internet always has an answer. I think we should add some more mixes to the rainbow or take out indigo. I see it has meaning, but so many more colors are reflected, I feel bad for the other mixed colors that are not included.